The First Floor

This history of the Royal Castle goes back to the 14th century. During the reign of Zygmunt iii Vasa the Castle was transformed into a five-winged edifice. It was a royal residence and the place where parliamentary sessions were held. In the 2nd half of the 18th century, artists in the employ of King Stanisław August renovated the interiors, creating the Great Apartment and the King’s Apartment. During the partitions (19th century) the majority of the collections were taken to Russia. After Poland regained its independence in 1918, some of these works of art were returned to the Castle. In September 1944 the Castle was blown up by the German army and the decision to rebuild it was only taken in 1971. In 1984 it was opened to the public. Nowadays state ceremonies are held at the Castle and it is also an important educational centre; works of art from the largest European collections are exhibited there.


Grafika- INNO+NPD

1.The Oval Gallery
2.The Council Chamber
3.The Great Assembly Hall
4.The Knights’ Hall
5.The Throne Room
6.The European Monarchs’Portrait Room
7.The Marble Room
8.The Yellow Room
9.The Green Room
10.The Antechamber to the Dressing Room
11.The Red Corridor
12.The passage between the Throne Room and the King’s Study
13.The King’s Study
14.The King’s Dressing Room
15.The King’s Bedchamber
16.The Old Audience Chamber
17.The Canaletto Room
18.The Small Chapel
19.The Officers’ Room
20.The Hall of the Crown’s Horse Guards
21.The Four Seasons’ Gallery
22-24.Prince Stanisław’s Apartment
25.The New Deputies’ Chamber
26.The Entrance Room to the New Deputies’ Chamber
27.The Guards’ Gallery
28.The Senators’ Chamber
29-31.The Princes’ Rooms
32.The Main Vestibule